No plans? 10 last-minute things to do this week
05:00 AM, Aug 02, 2013
1. The Park Avenue Summer Art Fest will transform a stretch of Rochester’s trendy Park Avenue into a showcase for artists and artisans from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. There will also be several entertainment stages, food vendors and fun activities. Admission is free.
2. State of the City: Street-ish, an exhibition of paintings and sculpture influenced by street art, graffiti and contemporary culture, opens Thursday and will remain on display through Sept. 28 at the Rochester Contemporary Art Center. There will be receptions from 6 to 10 p.m. Thursday and Friday. Call (585) 461-2222.
3. Experience Polish culture and cuisine during the Polish Arts Festival, which runs from 5 to 11 p.m. Friday and 4 to 11 p.m. Saturday at St. Stanislaus Church, 1124 Hudson Ave. Admission is free. Call (585) 467-3068.
4. The Buffalo Bills Verizon Wireless Training Camp is again underway at St. John Fisher College in Pittsford. You can watch the team practice from 8:10 to 11:10 a.m. Friday and Saturday; 2:10 to 5:10 p.m. Sunday; 6:10 to 9 p.m. Monday; and 8:10 to 11:10 a.m. Wednesday. Admission is free (although tickets are required for night practices). For more call (877) 228-4257.
5. Laura Ingalls Wilder Days will celebrate the life and times of the author who inspired the Little House on the Prairie television series. Events run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Genesee Country Village and Museum in Mumford. This year’s guest is Alison Arngrim, who portrayed Nellie Oleson on TV. A free food demonstration in connection with the Flavors of Rochester Book Club will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday. Other activities are free with admission, which is $16.50; $13.50 for seniors and students; $10.50 for youths. Call (585) 538-6822.
6. The 2013 PGA Championship runs from Thursday through Sunday next week, but events kick off on Monday at Oak Hill Country Club in Pittsford.
7. The Brantling Bluegrass Festival kicks off Thursday at the Brantling Ski and Snowboard Center in Sodus, Wayne County. The three-day event continues through Saturday and includes live music, food and craft vendors and camping. Admission is $20 ($25 on Saturday). It’s free for ages 16 and younger. A $55 three-day pass also is available. For details call (315) 331-2365.
8. It’s time to saddle up for the Attica Rodeo at Attica’s Exchange Street Arena in Wyoming County. Shows are at 7:45 p.m. Thursday and Friday; 12:45 and 7:45 p.m. Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $18; $8 for youths.
9. Bands on the Bricks continues from 6 to 10 p.m. Friday at the Rochester Public Market with Latino Night hosted by DJ Bonitillo and Javier Rivera of the Puerto Rican Festival, with Calle Uno with Group Next Level and Rhythm Society. Call (585) 428-6907.
10. The Genesee Valley Antique Car Society Show runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday at Roberts Wesleyan College in Chili. Admission is $3; free for ages 11 and younger.