No plans? No problem. 10 things to do in the Rochester area
05:00 AM, Aug 30, 2013
1. The New York State Festival of Balloons will rise high above Dansville Municipal Airport. The hot-air balloons will launch (weather permitting) at 6 p.m. Friday; 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; 6 a.m. Monday. Gates open at 4 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. Admission is $5; free for ages 11 and younger.
2. The Rochester Labor Council’s Rochester Labor Day Parade begins at 11 a.m. Monday. The parade proceeds down East Avenue (from Alexander Street) to Main Street and the Liberty Pole, then west along Main Street to North Plymouth Avenue.
3. The All-Star Monster Truck Show begins at 7 p.m. Sunday at the New York State Fair. Among the big-wheeled trucks scheduled to rev their engines are Bigfoot, Bounty Hunter, Iron Outlaw, Illuminator and Toxic. The Party in the Pit starts at 5:30 p.m. Show admission is $10; $5 for Party in the Pit. Call (800) 475-3247.
5. Carolyn Michel stars in Family Secrets, a one-woman show about a quirky Jewish family, at Downstairs Cabaret at Winton Place in Brighton. Performances begin at 8:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 3 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $23 to $33. Call (585) 325-4370.
6. The Rochester Aero Modeling Society’s Northeast Model Helicopter Jamboree begins at 10 a.m. Friday through Sunday at the RAMS Flying Field in Macedon. Pilots of remote-controlled model helicopters from all across the Northeast will be in attendance. There will also be fireworks and night flying on Saturday. Admission and parking are free.
7. The National Women’s Soccer League Championship will be on the line when the No. 1 Western New York Flash take on the No. 3 Portland Thorns FC at 8 p.m. Saturday at Sahlen’s Stadium. Tickets are $10 for general admission; $13 for sideline; $18 for premium; $25 for club. For more information, visit the Sahlen’s Stadium box office or call (585) 454-5425.
8. Grammy Award-winning Maroon 5 headline the Honda Civic Tour stop Wednesday, Sept. 4, at Darien Lake Performing Arts Center. Joining the pop-rockers are Kelly Clarkson and Tony Lucca. Tickets to the 7 p.m. concert are $60 to $99.50; $25 for lawn seating. For information call (800) 745-3000.
9. Pass the Remote! The Boob Tube Revue concludes with shows through Sunday at the Bristol Valley Theater in Naples. The curtain rises at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $33; $31 for seniors; $17 for college students; $12 for ages 18 and younger. Call (585) 374-6318.
10. Mt. Olivet Baptist Church is hosting a Back 2 School Celebration starting at 6 p.m. Friday. It features community booths, a concession stand and movie screenings. There will be free school book bags and supplies given out while supplies last. Starting a 8 p.m. there will a double feature outdoor screening of The Incredibles and Akeelah and the Bee (bring an outdoor chair or blanket). Admission is free. For details, call (585) 232-6742.