No plans? No problem
05:00 AM, Feb 07, 2014
1. The Lakeside Winter Celebration runs 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Ontario Beach Park and the nearby Port of Rochester Terminal. Attractions include the popular Chilly Chili Challenge and the Lake Ontario Wine Festival. Admission is free. Festivities continue on Sunday with the Polar Plunge at noon (go to polarplunge.net or call (585) 586-7400, ext. 105, to register) as well as the Frostbiter’s Sailboat Race. For more, go to cityofrochester.gov/wintercelebration.
2. The Landmark Society of Western New York presents Walk the Walk: Encounters with Rochester’s African-American Ancestors. The Black History Month celebration begins at 7 p.m. Friday at Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church. The free event features actors portraying notable pioneers from Rochester’s African-American community. For more, call (585) 546-7029 go to landmarksociety.org.
3. Makers and Mentors, an exhibit celebrating the artistic work and influence of Carl Chiarenza, opens Thursday and remains on view through March 16 at the Rochester Contemporary Art Center. Receptions will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday and 6 to 10 p.m. Friday. Call (585) 461-2222. Rochester Contemporary is just one of the galleries taking part in First Friday Gallery Night. For a list of others, go to firstfridayrochester.org.
4. Airigami’s Balloon Manor: The Very Tall Tale of Jack and His Beanstalk is open for free tours from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday through Saturday at the Sibley Building. The five-story sculpture of Jack and his beanstalk is constructed entirely out of inflated balloons. Call (585) 359-8695 or go to balloonmanor.com.
5. Andrea Frierson stars in Me and Ella, a tribute to Ella Fitzgerald, at Downstairs Cabaret at Winton Place in Brighton. Preview performances are at 7 p.m. Thursday and 8 p.m. Friday. The show opens at 8 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $23 to $29 ($20 for previews). For details and reservations, call (585) 325-4370 or go to downstairscabaret.com.
6. The New Play Festival continues through Sunday at the Multi-use Community Cultural Center. Each night features a different script-in-hand performance. Shows start at 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $10 ($8 in advance). For a schedule of shows, go to MuCCC.org.
7. Pianist Joyce Yang joins the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra for concerts at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and 8 p.m. Saturday in Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre. The orchestra, under the baton of Michael Morgan, will showcase Gershwin’s Concert in F and Duke Ellington’s Harlem. Tickets are $15 to $92. Call (585) 454-2100 or visit rpo.org.
8. Rochester Children’s Theatre presents Shrek the Musical at the Nazareth College Arts Center in Pittsford. The curtain rises at 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; additional performances run from Feb. 14 to 17. Tickets are $17 to $20. Call (585) 389-2170 or go to artscenter.naz.edu.
9. Don your “Versace” and get ready to chant the haute couture name when hip-hop’s Migos performs at 8 p.m. Saturday at Rochester’s Main Street Armory. Tickets are $25 to $30. Call (877) 435-9849 or go to rochestermainstreetarmory.com.
10. The Pink Collar Comedy Tour features Erin Judge, Abbi Crutchfield, Carrie Gravenson and Kaytlin Bailey. The laughs begin at 8 p.m. Friday at the Boulder Coffee, 100 Alexander St. Admission is $10. Call (585) 454-7140 or go to pinkcollarcomedytour.com.