Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan comeback? Unlikely
05:00 AM, Feb 11, 2013
While promoting his latest film, the fairy-tale adventure Jack the Giant Slayer opening March 1, Ewan McGregor took a moment to briefly discuss with USA TODAY whether the reawakened Star Wars franchise means he will be pulled back into Jedi duty soon.
“I was told before it was announced that George Lucas had sold Lucasfilm to Disney last year,” says the actor, who followed in the light saber-swinging footsteps of Alec Guinness as the young Obi-Wan Kenobi in the second Star Wars trilogy that ended in 2005.
Besides a third trilogy that will kick off in 2015, individual movies are planned focusing on certain characters. Entertainment Weekly has reported they might include an origin story based on mercenary Han Solo, made famous by Harrison Ford, and a look at the world of intergalactic bad guys centered around Boba Fett, the bounty hunter and cult figure.
But so far, McGregor says there has been no discussion about the possibility of an Obi-Wan comeback. “I’ve probably would have heard by now if there was,” he says. Isn’t he on a Jedi retainer of some sort whenever his presence is needed in the Star Wars universe? “I wish, but no.”