Oscar producers Zadan and Meron to return in 2014
05:00 AM, Apr 16, 2013
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences really likes Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.
The duo who produced the 2013 Oscar program in February will return in 2014, academy president Hawk Koch announced late Tuesday.
“In order to establish continuity with this year’s enormously successful show, we felt it was important to give these consummate professionals the green light now to begin creating another great evening,” Koch said in a statement. The next show will air March 2.
In the same statement Zadan and Meron said they were “honored to return … We look forward to creating a distinctive and entertaining show.”
The 2013 Oscars were hosted by Seth MacFarlane, who did not pull any punches — and drew laughs, controversy and impressive ratings. The show, the most watched telecast in the past three years, drew an audience of about 40.3 million total viewers.
Importantly, the academy succeeded in its quest to bring in young viewers who had been tuning out: Compared to 2012, the telecast drew about 20% more viewers among viewers ages 18 to 24 the highest number since 2007.
However, MacFarlane has stated repeatedly that he will not return for a second stint.
“It’s been a monster of a schedule with everything else I have to deal with,” he told USA TODAY before the show. “Which is why I don’t think I can do it again. I think it’s a one-time thing. But it’s been a lot of fun.”
After the show, MacFarlane was asked by a fan on Twitter if he would return.
“No way,” he tweeted. “Lotta fun to have done it, though.”