Academy: 'Way too early' for Oscar host speculation
05:00 AM, Apr 19, 2013
Don’t start jumping on the Seth MacFarlane 2014 Oscar host band wagon quite yet.
A statement from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on Friday put a damper on a report that MacFarlane had been approached to host the show again after his ratings-successful and controversial stint in February.
The report comes after the academy confirmed last week that show producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who hired MacFarlane for this year’s stint, would return to produce the 2014 show, scheduled for March 2.
“Given the fact that we just confirmed Craig Zadan and Neil Meron to produce, we understand how people might speculate in that fashion, but it’s really way too early to have any idea who our host might be in 2014,” the academy said in the statement.
The Thursday report on the pop-culture website JustJared.com said that MacFarlane had been approached but had a few weeks to think about it. The article quoted a “source close to the comedian.” A spokesperson for MacFarlane declined to comment on the report.
MacFarlane said before and after the February show that it would be a one-time thing. After the show MacFarlane told a fan on Twitter that he would not return.
“No way,” he Tweeted. “Lotta fun to have done it though.”