Heads up: Encore's month of Elvis movies
05:00 AM, May 01, 2013
If you’ve been reading this blog for a few years, you know I’m a big fan of Elvis movies. Anytime I happen to see one on TV, I’m guaranteed to stop what I’m doing and get sucked in to the music, moves and campiness of it all.
Tonight, Encore makes my King-flavored dreams come true by launching “Whole Lotta Elvis,” a month-long celebration of Elvis Presley’s film career. Tune in each night at 8 p.m. ET/PT to see a classic Elvis flick, and stay inside May 25 when the cable channel airs an all-day marathon.
Twenty-four Elvis films will be presented, encompassing classics and more obscure titles. If you’re unfamiliar with the legend’s oeuvre, here are my picks:
- Blue Hawaii (May 3 and 13). In this entertaining film, Elvis plays a man whose family is pressuring him to go into the family pineapple business (really). Angela Lansbury plays his mother, even though she was MY AGE at the time of filming. Geez.
- Jailhouse Rock (May 4 and 29). The all-time classic has some sweet musical seqeunces. Sadly, Elvis’ leading lady, Judy Tyler, died in a car accident before the movie was released.
- King Creole (May 5 and 24). Elvis always said that out of all of his film roles, this was his favorite. It’s not mine, but it’s in my top 10 …
- Speedway (May 7). Elvis plays a race-car driver and if that’s not enticing enough, Nancy Sinatra is his love interest.
- Viva Las Vegas (May 11 and 16). My favorite Elvis flick co-stars the stunning Ann-Margret. I’m still trying to perfect her dance moves.
- Spinout (May 12). Again, Elvis is a race-car driver. (This was released before Speedway, but I prefer the latter.)
- Change of Habit (May 29). This is a personal fave because it’s so weird: Mary Tyler Moore plays a nun, and Elvis is the doctor who falls in love with her. Scandalous! Fun fact: It marked the final acting role for the King.
I’m bummed Encore isn’t airing Love Me Tender (spoiler: Elvis dies!), but overall, it’s a pretty good lineup. Whole Lotta Elvis kicks off tonight with Girls! Girls! Girls! at 8 ET/PT. See the full schedule here.