Cool stuff on DVD today: 'Orphan Black' and more
05:00 AM, Jul 16, 2013
Need something to binge-watch this weekend? We have a couple options in today’s roundup of new releases:
Release o’ the week: Orphan Black: Season One. This BBC America series is addictive from the get-go: In the first episode, a woman watches another woman who looks exactly like her commit suicide. It’s not long before we learn she’s not a twin she’s a clone!
- Damages: The Final Season. The Glenn Close/Rose Byrne drama wraps and reveals an unsettling twist in the very first episode.
- Evil Dead. Don’t think of it as a remake of the cult horror hit; it’s more of a “re-imagining.”
- An Affair of the Heart. The Rick Springfield documentary is fun to watch, particularly if you were a fan back in the day.
- The End of Love. Actor Mark Webber (Scott Pilgrim) wrote and directed this tale of a father who must raise his young son after the boy’s mother dies. The supporting cast includes Michael Cera, Amanda Seyfried, Shannyn Sossamon and Aubrey Plaza.
- Lord of the Flies. Criterion releases a special edition of the 1963 film (not the one from 1990 with Balthazar Getty).
- The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure. I’m not recommending this family flick but including it because it has been cited as the biggest box-office bomb of all time.
Also out: 42, Erased, Hell on Wheels: The Complete Second Season, Regular Show: The Complete First and Second Seasons, Alphas: Season Two, Bullet to the Head, Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited 1-4, Solomon Kane, Matlock: The Complete Series
Blu-ray highlight: Ralph Bakshi’s raunchy animated flick from 1973, Heavy Traffic, is out in the format, as is the 1963 Boris Karloff feature Black Sabbath.
Related news: Star Trek Into Darkness will be released Sept. 10.
Next week: The ’60s-set indie Ginger & Rosa arrives.