Brad Pitt: 'World War Z' sequel in talks

05:00 AM, Sep 09, 2013

Brad Pitt arrives at the '12 Years A Slave' premiere during the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival on Sept. 6, 2013. Michael Tran, FilmMagic/


Written By by Haley Blum, USA TODAY

A sequel to this year’s World War Z is “certainly” being considered, the zombie blockbuster’s star Brad Pitt revealed while promoting his new film, 12 Years a Slave, at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Pitt told Variety that he and producers are “talking about it,” but they wouldn’t be moving forward with a sequel until they figure out who will write the script.

We gotta get the script right first to determine if we go further,” he told Variety, adding that “we have so many ideas and so much information — we think we have a lot of stuff to mine from.”

While World War Z, based on the 2006 novel by Max Brooks, received a mostly lukewarm response from critics, the movie is Pitt’s most successful to date, raking in $533 million worldwide.

The film, produced by Pitt’s Plan B company, had been under scrutiny prior to its release; the last part of the movie was rewritten and reshot, resulting in negative buzz.