George Clooney's 'Monuments Men' moves to 2014
05:00 AM, Oct 23, 2013
George Clooney’s World War II drama The Monuments Men was slated to open Dec. 18.
But it will not arrive in theaters as planned because the film’s visual effects could not be completed in time, Clooney says.
The high-profile project tells the tale of a band of art historians, museum curators and academics racing to rescue paintings and sculptures looted by the Nazis has been pushed to 2014. There had been buzz that it might be an Oscar contender.
But Clooney says he and producing partner Grant Heslov just couldn’t pull it off to get the movie done. “We just didn’t have enough time,” Clooney told the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday by phone from London.
At one point, Clooney said he turned to Heslov and said, “We’re dying.” There was too much to do and not enough time to do it.
“If any of the effects looked cheesy, the whole movie would look cheesy,” said Clooney, who directed the film and stars in it. “We simply don’t have enough people to work enough hours to finish it.”
The film boasts a star-studded cast. In addition to Clooney, there’s Matt Damon, Bill Murray, Jean Dujardin, John Goodman and Cate Blanchett. It was filmed in Germany and England earlier this year. Look for it to be released in the first quarter of next year, says the Times.