No plans? No problem. Here are 10 things to do in the Rochester area
05:00 AM, Mar 28, 2013
1. Green Day’s Uno, Dos, Tré Tour will rock Rochester at 7:30 p.m. Monday (April 1) at Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial. Tickets are $27.50, $52 and $62. They’re available at ticketmaster.com or by calling (800) 745-3000.
2. Moses Man: A Musical Journey of a Holocaust Survivor opens Saturday (March 30) at the Jewish Community Center in Brighton. Presented by JCC CenterStage and Rochester Children’s Theatre, the musical will be performed at 8 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Shows continue through April 7. Tickets are $26; $18 for students; $15 for middle and high school students and educators. Call (585) 461-2000, ext. 235.
3. The Colombian ensemble Cimarron, known for its rhythmic and explosive musica llanera (plains music), performs at 8 p.m. Tuesday (April 2) at the Eastman School of Music’s Kilbourn Hall. Tickets to the World Music Series concert are $10 to $20. Call (585) 454-2100.
4. The Broken Couch and Two Fat Ladies present The Sexy Improv Show at 9 p.m. Saturday (March 30) in The Space Theater at the Rochester Greenovation Building, 1199 E. Main St. Admission is $5.
5. The Women in Music Festival, a weeklong celebration of women involved in all aspects of music, concludes with a free performance by the Greater Rochester Women’s Philharmonic at 2 p.m. Saturday (March 30) at the Eastman School of Music’s Kilbourn Hall.
6. The Whipping Man, a Civil War drama by Matthew Lopez, opens Tuesday (April 2) for a month-long run at the Geva Theatre Center. The co-production with the Indiana Repertory Theatre is about a Jewish Confederate soldier who returns to his family’s Virginia plantation, which has been abandoned, except by two of the family’s former slaves. Opening-week performances begin at 7:30 p.m. April 2 to 4; 8 p.m. April 5; 2 and 8 p.m. April 6; and 2 and 7 p.m. April 7. Tickets start at $25. Call (585) 232-4382..
7. Arena football team The Roc City Thunder will take on the Buffalo Celtics at 7:30 p.m. Friday (March 29) at RIT’s Gordon Field House in Henrietta. Tickets are $11 to $15 ($8 for ages 6 to 12). Call (585) 475-4121.
8. Wicked, a musical about events in the Land of Oz before a girl from Kansas drops in, opens Wednesday (April 3) for a three-week run at Rochester’s Auditorium Theatre. Tickets ($37.50 to $132.50) are available at ticketmaster.com or by calling (800) 745-3000.
9. The Rochester RazorSharks will tip off against the West Virginia Miners at 7:05 p.m. Thursday (March 28) at the Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial. Game tickets ($5, $10 and $25) are available at ticketmaster.com or by calling (800) 745-3000.
10. Activities for If All of Rochester Read the Same Book, which showcases Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea, continues with readings, book signings and discussions. It includes An Evening with Luis Urrea at 7:30 p.m. Thursday (March 28) at the University of Rochester’s Interfaith Chapel.