No plans? No problem. Things to do in the Rochester area
05:00 AM, May 17, 2013
1. You still have time to check out the Rochester Lilac Festival. It runs from 10:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. through Sunday at Highland Park and includes arts and crafts, live entertainment, garden tours, food and activities for kids. Admission is free.
2. Rochester’s Frontier Field will be transformed into the Pepsi MAX MLB Field of Dreams for a game featuring legends from both the American and National leagues. The game starts at 6:05 p.m. May 18 (gates open at 4 p.m.). Tickets are $20 (available at Wegmans). Call (585) 423-9464.
3. The Rochester City Ballet presents “Past, Present and Future” at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and 2 p.m. Sunday at the Nazareth College Arts Center in Pittsford. Tickets are $45 to $60. Call (585) 389-2170.
4. The Finger Lakes Metal Fest runs from noon to 2 a.m. May 18 at Donselaar’s Sports Bar & Grill in Clyde, Wayne County. The event features heavy metal bands from around the Finger Lakes, food, raffles and activities. There’s no cover charge.
5. The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra’s orKIDStra Series concludes with “Eudora’s Fable: The Shoe Bird” at 2 p.m. Sunday at Hochstein Performance Hall. The program features Eudora Welty’s children’s book set to music by former RPO conductor Samuel Jones. Admission is $15 ($10 for ages 12 and younger. There is a $40 family package. Call (585) 454-2100.
6. The Bonsai Exhibit and Sale, sponsored by the Bonsai Society of Upstate NY, is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Monroe Community Hospital. Admission is $5; $3 seniors; free to ages younger than 12.
7. The Rochester Latino Theatre Company’s “Sombras de Nuestros Rostros” (Shadows of Our Faces) opens Friday at the Multi-use Community Cultural Center. The collection of monologues will be performed at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and 2 and 7 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $12 ($10 advance). There is VIP Meet and Greet Reception at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, $30 ($25 advance). Call (585) 244-0960.
8. Comedian Craig Shoemaker brings his baritone-voiced character, The Lovemaster, and his “Daditude” insights to The Comedy Club in Webster. Shows begin at 7:30 p.m. Thursday; and 7:30 and 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $15 and $20. Call (585) 671-9080.
9. Explore a small section of Mount Hope Cemetery during Searching Among the Stones Tour. Participants will learn about monuments, religious symbols and other facets of Victorian cemeteries as they create a timeline during the tour that begins at 11 a.m. Saturday. Meet at the North Gate House. Admission is $5 ($6 family package). Call (585) 461-3494.
10. Thomas the Tank Engine, the hero of the Railway Series of storybooks, will roll into the Medina Railroad Museum. The Go Go Thomas Tour includes train rides, costumed characters (including Sir Topham Hatt), craft activities, entertainment, storytelling and a tour of the museum. Tickets are $18 and reservations are suggested. Departure times begin at 9:15 a.m. through 5:45 pm Friday through Sunday. Tickets are $18. For reservations and details, call (585) 798-6106.