No plans? No problem. Here are 10 things to do in the Rochester area
05:00 AM, Jun 21, 2013
1. Grammy Award-winning R&B artist Mary J. Blige is the headliner for a 7:30 p.m. Sunday concert at Rochester’s Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial. She’ll be sharing the stage with Anthony Hamilton and others. Tickets ($58-$113) are available by calling (800) 745-3000.
2. Check out Robin McKelle and the Flytones, a concert during the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival, at 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. on the City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage on Gibbs Street. Admission is free.
3. The War of 1812 Bicentennial and Jane Austen Weekend runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Genesee Country Village and Museum in Mumford. There will be re-enactors, cannons and muskets, demonstrations, displays and entertainment, as well as a showcase of fashions of Jane Austen and the Regency Era. Museum admission is $16.50; $13.50 for seniors and students with ID; $10.50 for ages 4 to 16; free for ages 3 and younger. Call (585) 538-6822.
4. LL Cool J and the Kings of the Mic Tour drops in Saturday at Constellation Brands-Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center. The lineup also features Ice Cube, Public Enemy and De La Soul. Tickets to the 7 p.m. concert are $35-$65; $25 for lawn seating. Call (800) 745-3000.
5. ZooBrew will feature music by Civil City, and Bill Schmidt and the Bluesmasters. The social (for party animals 21 and older only) begins at 5:30 p.m. Friday at the Seneca Park Zoo. Tickets are $10.
6. Country’s Zac Brown Band will perform at 7 p.m. Sunday at Darien Lake Performing Arts Center. Tickets ($29.50-$69.50) are available online.
7. Brockport Rotary’s Barbecue and Music Festival gets underway Friday at the Ski Lodge Area of Northampton Park in Ogden. In addition to the cooking competitions and demonstrations (and tastings) there’ll be live music, art and crafts displays, a kids area and activities. Events run from 5 to 10 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $5 (free to ages 12 and younger).
8. Bill Evans and Friends will present two contemporary dance performances at The College at Brockport. The first begins at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Rose L. Strasser Studio in Hartwell Hall; and at 1:30 p.m. Sunday at Hartwell Dance Theater. Tickets are $10; $5 for students (a package deal for both are available for $15 and $7.50).
9. Explore six Residential Gardens during RMSC Women’s Council Garden Tour. It runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $20 ($18 in advance). Tickets are available at the Rochester Museum & Science Center, Parkleigh Pharmacy, Kittelberger Florist & Gifts, Genrich’s Garden Center, Pittsford Florist, Blanchard Florist, Bouquets by Bonnie, Wayside Garden Center, Gallea’s Greenhouse, Gro-Moore Farm Market & Garden Center, and Wisteria Flowers and Gifts.
10. The Western New York Flash will face the Seattle Reign at 4:05 p.m. Sunday at Sahlen’s Stadium. Tickets to the National Women’s Soccer League matchup are $10 to $25. Call (585) 454-5425.