No plans? No problem. 10 things to do in the Rochester area
05:00 AM, Jul 12, 2013
1. The Rochester SummerFest features two evenings of rhythm and blues. The Whispers featuring Lenny Williams perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Auditorium Theatre. Tickets are $27.50 to $32.50; and TGT (the trio of Tyrese, Ginuwine and Tank), along with Kelly Rowland, Fabolous and Chrisette Michele, perform at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial. Admission is $26.25, $46.25 and $70.25. Tickets to both shows are available at ticketmaster.com or by calling (800) 745-3000.
2. The Corn Hill Arts Festival runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday in the historic neighborhood off of Exchange Boulevard and Plymouth Avenue. It features displays by hundreds of artists and artisans, live entertainment, and more. Admission is free.
3. Politically incorrect comedian Bill Maher hits town with his Making Back My Million Tour at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Auditorium Theatre. Tickets ($38 to $78) are available by calling (800) 745-3000.
4. The Hill Cumorah Pageant, an outdoor drama based on the Book of Mormon, begins around 9 p.m. Friday on a hillside off of Route 21 in Manchester, Ontario County. Performances continue Saturday and July 16 to 20. Parking and admission are free. For details, call (315) 597-5851.
5. The Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival kicks off at 1 p.m. Sunday at Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, 9993 Alleghany Road, Darien. Metal fans can hear Rob Zombie, Five Finger Death Punch, Behemoth, Machine Head, Mastodon, Children of Bodom, Butcher Babies, Amon Amarth and others. Tickets are $45 to $105 ($35 for lawn seating). Call (800) 745-3000.
6 Country star Brad Paisley brings his Beat This Summer Tour to Darien Lake Performing Arts Center at 7 p.m. Friday. Tickets are $45.50 and $65.50; $30.50 for lawn seating. Call (585) 745-3000.
7. The Big Rib Barbecue and Blues Fest runs from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday and from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday at Highland Park. Admission is free ($5 after 3 p.m.; free for ages 12 and younger).
8. Train headlines the Mermaids of Alcatraz Tour at 7 p.m. Saturday at Darien Lake Performing Arts Center. Also on the bill: Gavin DeGraw, Michael Franti and Spearhead. Tickets are $29.50, $49.50 and $75; $20 for lawn seating. Call (800) 745-3000.
9. The Geneseo Air Show, presented by the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group at the National Warplane Museum, is from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday (gates open at 6 a.m.) at the Geneseo Airport. Admission is $20 ($17 in advance); free for ages 12 and younger. Tickets are avaiable at Wegmans. Also, gates will open at 6 p.m. Friday for Fly-in Arrival Day. Admission is $10. Call (585) 243-2100.
10. Alternative rockers fun. headline the Most Nights Summer Tour, performing Saturday at the Constellation Brands-Marvin Sands Performing Arts Center. The Grammy Award-winners will be joined by Tegan and Sara. Tickets to the 8 p.m. concert are $25 and $40.