No plans? No problem
05:00 AM, Dec 13, 2013
1. Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical continues at the Auditorium Theatre. Visit Whoville at 7:30 p.m. Thursday; 8 p.m. Friday; 2, 5 and 8 p.m. Saturday; 1 and 6:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets ($32.50 to $67.50) are available at ticketmaster.com or by calling (800) 745-3000.
2. The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra will showcase Bach’s Magnificat at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and 8 p.m. Saturday in Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre. The orchestra, under the direction of James Feddeck (and harpsichord), will be joined by the Eastman Chorale. Admission is $15 to $92. Call (585) 454-2100 or go to rpo.org.
3. The George Eastman House will host a Holiday Homecoming Celebration from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday. The evening includes festive displays, the Gingerbread House exhibition, music, refreshments, family activities and a visit from Santa. Admission is $12; $10 for seniors; $5 for students; $3 for ages 5 to 12; free for ages 4 and younger. Call (585) 271-3361 or go to eastmanhouse.org.
4. The Santaland Diaries, a one-man comedy based on David Sedaris’ essay about working as a Yuletide elf at Macy’s, opens Saturday at Blackfriars Theatre. David Jason Kyle returns as the cranky Crumpet. The curtain rises at 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; 7:30 p.m. Dec. 19; 8 p.m. Dec. 21 and 22. Tickets are $28.50 to $36.50 (discounts are available). Call (585) 454-1260 or go to blackfriars.org.
5. Follow the Yellow Brick Road to The Wizard of Oz. The Rochester Children’s Theatre production begins at 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Nazareth College Arts Center in Pittsford. Performances continue Dec. 20 to 22. Tickets are $17 to $20. Call (585) 389-2170 or go to artscenter.naz.edu. For more, visit rochesterchildrenstheatre.org.
6. The Rochester Gay Men’s Chorus presents its “Come Wassail Away!” holiday concert at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Hochstein Performance Hall. Tickets are $17; $14 for seniors and students; $6 for children. Call (585) 423-0650 or go to thergmc.org.
7.Celebrate the holiday with a performance of Good Rockin’ Christmas at Downstairs Cabaret at Winton Place in Brighton. It features selections from DCT’s Good Rockin’ Live show combined with rockabilly arrangements of Christmas favorites (including “Blue Christmas,” “Jingle Bell Rock” and “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”). Shows begin at 4 and 8 p.m. Saturday; 3 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $23 to $33. Call (585) 325-4370 or go to downstairscabaret.com.
8. Dan St. Germain brings his free-wheeling sensibility and pop-culture tweaks to The Comedy Club in Webster. Shows are at 7:30 p.m. Thursday; 7:30 and 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Admission is $9 to $12. Call (585) 671-9080 or go to TheComedyClub.us.
9. The RIT Model Railroad Club’s Tiger Tracks Train Show runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday at Rochester Institute of Technology’s Gordon Field House. There will be vendor displays of model trains, accessories and railroad memorabilia and operating layouts. Admission is $5; $3 for seniors; free for ages 11 and younger. Call (585) 475-2227 or go to ritmrc.org.
10.A Magical Journey Thru Stages presents It’s a Wonderful Life at the Auditorium Center’s third floor theater. The adaption is based on the classic holiday movie. Performances are at 7:30 p.m. Friday; 2 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $16 ($13 in advance). Call (585) 935-7173 or go to mjtstages.com.